Flag Day is on June 14th
Ten Great Ways to Celebrate Flag Day:
1) Fly the flag.
2) Sing "You’re a Grand Old Flag" or "The Star Spangled Banner." Discuss what the flag represents.
3) Say the Pledge of Allegiance. Talk about what the Pledge means to your family. (See what John Wayne says about it below.)
4) Learn the history of Flag Day. (See video below.)
5) Learn flag etiquette.
6) Talk about the values your family has. Create a family flag that represents your family.
7) Invite friends to celebrate Flag Day with you. Talk about what America means to you.
8) Have a barbeque or just serve root beer floats or fresh fruit.
9) After the patriotic activities, you could play games together.
10) Most of all, have fun and appreciate our heritage.
The History of Flag Day
The Meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance
Here is John Wayne telling what the Pledge of Allegiance means to him. Flag Day is a great time to talk with your family about what the Pledge of Allegiance means to you and why we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States.
The Story of the Star Spangled Banner
Here's a wonderful story from the history of our flag.