Whether you have recently started back to school or are enjoying the last few days of summer vacation, here are some ideas to help start the year right:
1) Take pictures. These become family favorites over the years. Some families make posters for the kids to hold that tell their name, age, grade, teacher, or anything else you want to remember.
2) Enjoy a fun walk or drive to school together. Make sure your child knows how to get to school and to classes.
3) Make your child’s favorite lunch for the first day of school and include an affectionate note.
4) Create an inviting homework area together. It can be at the kitchen table or a desk. Stock it with pencils, pens, markers, glue sticks, ruler, scissors, dictionary, paper, and other helpful supplies.
5) Prepare a special family dinner. All it takes is a little candlelight, balloons, or a favorite dish to make it memorable. Take a minute to give your family a meaningful “back to school” message.
6) As you tuck your child in at night, invite them to share a “best” and “worst” happening of the day. Listen with love. You could write their favorite memories and things they learn from their challenges in a journal.
7) Spend a family evening together and talk about the new school year. Write goals for the year. Serve refreshments. Say a prayer together to express gratitude for your blessings and seek for help in the upcoming school year.
8) Record a video at the beginning of each school year. It can be very simple. Some ideas are for your child to say their name, grade, teacher, a few of their favorite things, and their goals for the year. Other possibilities include saying a poem, reading a selection from a favorite book, performing a talent, or anything else that reflects your family values and interests. You can add to it each year, or even each month. Kids love to watch these videos over the years.
What we do and when we do it probably aren’t as important as creating happy, loving memories together. Wishing you and your family a very wonderful school year!