During the Obama administration, the bad economy has caused record numbers of people to become dependent on the government. Now, some want the social "safety net" to become a permanent handout rather than a temporary helping hand.
But government doesn't produce it's own money. The money it gives away belongs to you and me. And government money always comes with strings attached. Little by little the strings are becoming chains as our freedoms disappear one by one.
In a nutshell, here is what's happening:
1. Unwise or unethical politicians make unrealistic promises to get elected.
2. They take our money via taxes and keep a big chunk to pay themselves and their supporters.
3. The money that's leftover doesn't begin to pay for all the entitlements politicians have promised, so they borrow 40% of all the money they spend.
4. Massive debt and interest on the debt create a heavy burden and cripple the economy.
5. Without any competition or incentives to perform well, government services perform poorly.
6. Because government has promised to take care of you (with your money), politicians believe they are entitled to tell you how to live so you don't become too expensive to manage.
7. Step by step, rules and regulations become oppressive, taxes increase, and services diminish.
Before we know it, we've lost our liberty and prosperity.
"There are people in need of help. Charity is one of the nobler human motivations. The act of reaching into one's own pockets to help a fellow man in need is praiseworthy and laudable. Reaching into someone else's pocket is despicable and worthy of condemnation."
-Dr. Walter E. Williams