All over the country, families are finishing up their summer activities and looking forward to starting a new school year.
Here are a few helpful ideas for getting school clothes and supplies for your children quickly and easily.
If you have any tips that work well for you, please share them in the comments below!
- Using any lists your school provides, talk to your kids about what they need for school.
- Make a single list of schools supplies you need to purchase for the year, including how many you need of each item. Print it off and carry it in your purse.
- Check the supplies you already have. This may be a good time to declutter, sort, and organize your supplies.
- Some families make a list of what their children need on a daily basis. When the kids are getting low on something, they can check it off on the list and get it replaced before they run out.
- Be sure to check the ads! You can get great deals at this time of year. It’s a great time to stock up and create your own little family store of school supplies for the year!
- Start with your oldest child. Sort through all their clothes together. Pull out anything that isn’t usable by anyone. Throw those items away.
- Next sort out all the things that don’t fit any more. Set them aside for younger children to go through or to give to charity.
- Try on everything that is left to be sure they fit and are ready to wear.
- If you keep clothing in storage (hand-me-downs, things you’ve purchased on sale, etc.), check to see what is useable now, and add it to the current clothing.
- Write down the sizes of pants, shirts, etc. that fit best.
- When you are finished, your closets will be organized, and you will have a list of clothes your child likes, that fit, and what their current sizes are.
- Make a list of things you still need.
- Go through the process with each child.
- Check the sales and go shopping.
Some families go on a giant shopping expedition all together. Others take each child on a special shopping trip, complete with a stop for lunch or a treat. However you choose to do it, remember you are creating lasting memories. Have a fun time you will want to remember!